Mon - Fri : 08:30 - 17:00
01375 673361

PBA Group

The blog

Claim Tax credits by deadline 31st July


1. How to claim
If you’re new to tax credits you can order a claim form online by:

completing the tax credits quick questionnaire
using the tax credits calculator
You can also contact the Tax Credit Helpline for a claim form.

It takes up to 2 weeks for the form to arrive.

You don’t need a claim form if you’re already claiming tax credits – just call the helpline to update your claim.

You can apply for tax credits as a single person or as a couple (known as a ‘joint claim’).

When you call
Before you’re sent the form, you’ll be asked for certain information and given an estimate of how much you’ll get. What you’re asked for can include:

your National Insurance number (if you have one)
your income for the last tax year
details of any benefits you get
details of any childcare payments
the number of hours you work a week
Where to send the form
The address is on the form. If you claim benefits you can give it to your Jobcentre Plus.

You may be charged a penalty (up to £3,000) if you give wrong information:

fraudulently (on purpose)
negligently (you didn’t take enough care)
You won’t get a penalty if you made a mistake but took reasonable care when making a claim.

Get help with your application
You’re sent guidance notes with your claim form. You can also get help from the Tax Credit Helpline, your benefits office or an organisation like Citizens Advice.

Someone else can claim tax credits for you. They can apply for authorisation to speak to the Tax Credit Office on your behalf or become an ‘appointee’ to manage your payments.

Leave a Reply